Wednesday, June 18, 2014

CHANGING TIMES


I went to the chaat cart near my house that I've been going to since I was 11. This is the first time I went there after he introduced the disposable plates system. The vendor and I got talking when he told me that his daughter is planning to pursue a course in engineering this year. Having seen the frugal life he has led, I was pleasantly surprised and genuinely happy for this man, who had made it to my sister's wedding with a small gift about 3.5 years back. Nobody wants to be left out of the rat race anymore.

My second anecdote is about the headmistress of a government school near my house that I recently visited. A distraught looking mother came to the headmistress and told her that she wanted to take back her 13 year old daughter who was studying in that school and lived in the school hostel. On inquiring the reason behind this sudden and drastic decision, it came to light that the father was opposed to the current setup due to a financial crisis. The class teacher came with the school records and exclaimed that this child was doing extremely well in class (3rd in class) and would surely get a distinction in 10th if she pursued and worked harder. The headmistress sent the mother back saying she wouldn't permit this withdrawl from school and she would personally make sure that the child got education and accommodation free of cost. This attitude of the elderly lady I was sitting in front of, really won my heart. Education in India, especially of the women makes such a difference in the quality of the life a family leads. If there are little children willing to be educated, there are always large-hearted people who are willing to help.

In another incident, I visited a village for a diabetes awareness camp. I saw a 7 year old girl running about the place with an infectious smile. I caught hold of her and started talking to her. Found out that she loved dancing. She showed me a few good moves. She was unbelievably good for her age. She also told me that she loved going to school and wants to become a doctor like me when she grows big. The very fact that she had such a huge aspiration given her humble background is the stepping stone to achieving something in life.

Dream big, because the sky is not the limit, we ourselves are.



No comments:

Post a Comment