Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Mein aur meri happy wala Maggie *

I spend a lot of time on the go these days. Yet it never occurred to me to pen down my myriad thoughts during these hours. But today, for a reason I cannot confess publicly, I decided to share my experience with Maggie noodles 

For many of us Maggie simply means childhood. The innumerable Saturday mornings spent in slurping strings of noodles, one longer than the other is a vivid memory. I can confidently say that for the kids born in the 80s and 90s, Maggie noodles extended into their adulthood. 

Davangere, a small college town has a number of these tiny noodle outlets attracting all kind of people. The most surprising one so far has been the 60yr old man who was enjoying his plate of fried Maggie, a delectable alternative to the usual one. It's not surprising that people haven't received the ban too well. I believe more than Maggie itself, it's the million memories and the nostalgia associated with it that would make it so hard for people like me to give up on it. 

Maggie is particularly special for me because friendships were formed over them. One of the most important person in my college years became friends with me at a Maggie joint. That memory would go down as my "before sunrise" moment - one of the most spontaneous ones in my life. Classes were bunked just to squeeze in a bowl of piping hot Maggie noodles. 

The ban on Maggie, albeit temporary, is so symbolic for me. The timing couldn't have been more right. It's almost like the end of an Era. It's time to let go of something that was meant to only get me through college.

* I hadn't paid attention to the spelling of Maggi ever until a friend most kindly pointed it out recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment