Friday, October 24, 2014

HAPPY DEEPAVALI INDEED


For the longest time I can remember, Deepavali always meant lots of savouries, free goodies, joy, crackers and new clothes. This Deepavali was a wee bit different. Of course, gifts, sweets and new clothes were a part of the festivities this year too. But this time, I celebrated mine working on all 3 days. I spent my time talking to my patients, sharing their happiness, joys and fears. I celebrated it by sharing my sweets with a cute little 3 yr old suffering from an acute form of leukemia, who has now been in the hospital for over 2 weeks. All he gets this Deepavali are beautiful visuals of the light studded sky from the window of his hospital room. 

It is sometimes frustrating that we work tirelessly day and night. Personal life, loved ones, parties, family gatherings and sometimes even important exams may take a backseat. But it disappears when you have even one person coming and thanking you, making you realise that every little minute you spent for them was worth it.

The festival this year has been extra special because we have also done an autologous bone marrow transplantation for a patient suffering from multiple myeloma. It would give her a chance to live disease free for 2-3 years. For people whose expiry date is more or less known, even one extra week makes such a difference. These procedures are huge for the hospital (also in terms of income. He he.) These people are extremely prone to infections post transplantation and have the risk of high morbidity and also mortality in about 5% of the cases. That may seem like a small percentage only. But even one patient we lose is a big loss to us and their families. Hoping that she breezes through the next 20 days safely. 

I don't know how the transition happened - dolls to people, playing doctor to being a real one, a real stethoscope replacing the toy one I used to pocket all the children in the neighbourhood. But I am glad it happened and I know I would do it all over again if I had to. 

2 comments: