Thursday, October 9, 2014

WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY...

"I had amenorrhea for 2 years. I never bothered to pay attention to it because I was so busy taking care of my family. When I finally visited my gynaecologist, she recommended that I undergo a scan, which was suggestive of chocolate cysts, a relatively benign condition. She told me that a laparoscopic surgery can resolve my problem. The operating surgeon, on the contrary found cauliflower like growth all over. She was shocked. She immediately closed me up and informed my husband. It was 1992. I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian carcinoma. My girl was 10 and boy was 4. Eventually a debulking surgery was performed. I was given high doses of endoxan (a chemotherapy drug) which made me lose my hair. I fell sick often. I would endlessly retch and vomit. Those were dark days. But I was almost cured of it. I travelled all the way till Apollo Hyderabad for my follow ups. All was fine, till it resurfaced in 2001. My daughter was a medical student. My abdomen had to bear the brunt of another surgery. Coincidentally, I met the gynaecologist who had operated on me for the first time. I couldn't help but stare at the wig she was wearing. She seemed to have read my thoughts and promptly told me how she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to undergo mastectomy. I was speechless.

Post second surgery, I went to the hospital for a follow up. That's when I learnt she went into coma and passed away in the same hospital. What a cruel twist of fate. The lady who gave me a second chance in life lay there motionless.

Soon, my daughter moved to another country and I lost my husband. I've changed a few doctors. I've had near miss events happening in my life. A lot of people and things left me, but this damn cancer doesn't seem to. But I am not going to quit fighting. I am a survivor.... "

I hope this incredible woman who has tirelessly fought cancer for the last 2 decades serves as an inspiration to every single person out there in the world because out of difficulties grow miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment