Sunday, May 13, 2018

Home is where you make it

Hi everyone. I am back to this blog after nearly two years. In that time, I landed a terrific job, moved continents, got married and became an aunt. So lots of things, as you can imagine have changed.

I recently visited India. If you're a Bangalorean, it is very difficult to like any other city in the world. Despite the crazy traffic, the lack of trees these days and the deteriorating weather; you can't help but continue loving Bangalore as we know it. My two weeks in Bangalore had me semi convinced that it was a dumb idea to move away from Bangalore. I absolutely loved the familiarity I was surrounded by, an innate sense of belonging in my motherland and simply the thrill of bumping into someone I knew at a nearby mall on any given day and hour. As an added bonus, I got to meet my 19 month old niece after over a year and spend most of my time in India playing with her and entertaining her. I got to satiate a lot of my suppressed food cravings from the past year (born appetite huh? wink wink)
So it's probably not surprising that I left Bangalore, my family and friends behind with a very heavy heart thinking home is where my heart will always be.

However, for the very first time yesterday after I landed in Uncle Sam's land, I felt a great sense peace and joy in returning. All the barren trees I left behind two weeks ago had grown young green leaves. I could not help but marvel at how fresh the air felt, how exciting the brush of the cold wind against my face was and generally how picturesque every scene during my drive back home from the airport was. I was met with friendly smiles and hellos by strangers helping me realize that I had returned to what was once a foreign land that had wholeheartedly welcomed and embraced me. Walking into my house, I felt a strange tranquility fill up my heart knowing that I had returned to something completely mine. In that moment, I realized 'home is where you make it'.


A beautiful view from my dining room

No comments:

Post a Comment